We love anything barbeque, so we were ecstatic to try this Rhubarb-Blood Orange Barbecued Chicken recipe. Our Il Fusti Blood Orange Olive Oil added more citrus and zest to the taste, balancing the savory flavors. You should definitely give this one a try!
1 tablespoon Il Fusti Blood Orange Olive Oil
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup apricot preserves
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 tablespoon honey Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 5 teaspoons barbecue seasoning, divided
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 12 chicken drumsticks (about 4 pounds)
In a large saucepan, heat Il Fusti Blood Orange Olive Oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in rhubarb, ketchup, water, preserves, vinegar, molasses, mustard, chipotle pepper, 1 teaspoon barbecue seasoning, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until rhubarb is tender, 8-10 minutes. Puree the rhubarb mixture using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and puree in a blender. Reserve 2 cups of sauce for serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the remaining 4 teaspoons barbecue seasoning, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper; sprinkle over the chicken.
On a lightly oiled grill rack, use Il Fusti Blood Orange Olive Oil and grill chicken, covered, over indirect medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Turn; grill until a thermometer reads 170°-175°, 15-20 minutes longer, brushing occasionally with remaining sauce.
- Serve with reserved sauce.
This recipe was adapted and sourced directly from TasteOfHome.com.