We tried these Italian Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers in our kitchen, and they tasted amazing! Our Il Fusti Italian-blend Olive Oil added a hint of pepperiness and tang to an already savory meal. You should definitely try this one!
¾ cup whole grain brown rice, uncooked
6 medium bell peppers, any color (red, yellow, or green)
2-3 tablespoons Il Fusti Italian-blend Olive Oil
2 small onions, diced
1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 small carrots, sliced
1 small zucchini, cubed
¾ cup fresh parsley leaves picked and finely chopped
¾ cup tomato purée
salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
A pinch of chili
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- In a small pan bring salted water to a boil over medium heat and cook the rice according to the package instructions. Drain on a colander and set aside.
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers ("lids") and set aside. Scoop out the inside and discard the seeds. Wash the peppers carefully and set them aside.
In a large pan heat Il Fusti Italian-blend Olive Oil, add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5-8 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini, and fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add cooked rice, ⅓ cup parsley, and tomato purée, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and a pinch of chili.
- Divide the mixture between the peppers and place the "lids” on top.
- Place the stuffed peppers in a greased baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until slightly brown on the edges.
- Sprinkle remaining parsley on top and serve.
This recipe was adapted and sourced directly from AHeadOfThyme.com.